Suzanne Manlove | Mar 3, 2016 | No Comments
Considering a new build or remodeling your existing home? Here are a few planning tips to keep in mind.
1. Create a Furniture Floor Plan
At the beginning of your project, when you are approving drawings and prior to pulling permits, create a furniture plan. This doesn’t need to be exact, but representative of future furnishings. This will help you decide what furniture you can re-purpose in your new space, as well as help you answer some important questions that may impact the comfort and functionality of your new home.
sample floor plan
- Can you furnish the space the way you imagined?
- Is there enough space between the furniture to pass comfortably?
- Does everyone in your family have a place to sit in the family room?
- Do you need electrical outlets in the middle of the floor so you can add lighting?
- Does your ideal bed size fit in your new master bedroom?
2. Plan Ahead
A custom upholstered piece, like that big sectional you’ve been dreaming of, may take up to 4 months to be manufactured and shipped. If you want your home to be furnished when you move in, give yourself a deadline for ordering.
3. Budget for Window Treatments
All of those beautiful new windows will need some coverings to provide privacy and light control starting your first night in your new home. Those 3M paper shades is not a look you want to live with for long.
If you are planning a project and have questions or want to discuss ways that Arlington Home Interiors can help, please contact me for a free phone consultation.